Kearney fire district celebrates silver anniversary - The Kearney Courier

Before its current location at 201 E. Sixth St. , the city’s fire crew was housed in the Old Firehouse, 106 S. Jefferson St. , the current home of Firehouse Creative Center. The department was originally formed in response to citizens being concerned about fire safety and responses after a 1948 fire on Christian Ridge, now Prospect Street, devastated a large structure. “In January of 1949, a decision was made to build a fire station to house truck and equipment and other city purposes, with U. A. ‘Red’ Pratt to draw up plans for a building in line with the money available. Six lots known as City Park were purchased in April of 1949 from Claude Carey for $850 and authorization for a $5,000 bond election was set for purchasing a fire truck, land and construction of the building,” a history of the department and... At the time, it housed the fire department, police station and City Hall. An addition in 1967 added extra space for City Hall, the firehouse history states. In 1981, a $270,000 bond issue was passed to acquire land and construct a 6,000-square-foot station addition fitted with six bays at its current location on Sixth Street. The reason for moving from a city department to a district, Pratt said, was to provide better service. “The area we protected then as a city department is basically the same as it is now. The district went into service in January of 1991, and full-time employees began Feb. Source: www.kearneycourier.com